How to Remove a Hampton Bay Fan Canopy
Hampton Bay ceiling fans are the house brand of Home Depot. Like most other fans, Hampton Bay uses a canopy to cover the mounting plate on the ceiling. The canopy adds a decorative touch while also helping dampen fan noise. When removing a fan or checking the wires, it is necessary to remove the canopy. Removing a Hampton Bay ceiling fan canopy depends on whether you have a flush-mount fan or one with a down rod.
Turn off the circuit breaker supplying power to the ceiling fan. The circuit breaker is in your home electrical box and may control more than just the ceiling fan. Place a stepladder under the Hampton Bay fan.
Remove the light bulbs and light covers from the fixture, if you have a light assembly on your ceiling fan. Remove the screws securing the light assembly housing to the fan with a Phillips screwdriver. Lower the light assembly, and hold it in one hand.
Twist counterclockwise the wire nuts securing the wires for the ceiling fan and light assembly, using your free hand to separate the wires. Lower the light assembly from the fan and set it in a safe place.
Turn the screws securing the fan blades to the unit with a Phillips screwdriver. Remove the blades from the fan and set them aside. Find the screws securing the canopy to the ceiling mounting plate. Loosen the screws two complete revolutions. Turn the canopy counterclockwise and unhook it from the screws. Slide the canopy over the fan motor housing and away from the fan.
Ask a helper to hold the fan motor housing if you have a Hampton Bay fan with a down rod. Slide the canopy over the down rod until it rests on top of the motor housing. Disconnect the fan wires from the ceiling wires, twisting the plastic wire caps counterclockwise. Slide the hangar ball, at the top of the down rod, out of the mounting bracket. Slide the canopy over the top of the down rod to remove it from the fan.
Things You Will Need
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- Some canopies have a decorative ring on the bottom. You must turn the ring counterclockwise to loosen the canopy from the down rod.
- Instructions for a Hampton Bay 48-TP Light Bulb
- How do I Replace the Light in a GE Profile Advantium 120?
- How to Change Lights on a Harbor Breeze 52 Aero Bronze Ceiling Fan
- How to Change Bulbs in a Westinghouse Ceiling Fan
- How to Mount a Ceiling Fan in a Vaulted Ceiling Peak
- How to Install a Harbor Breeze Light Kit Socket