- Clean the surface of the dishwasher thoroughly with water, mild dish soap and a rag. Dry with a towel.
- Sand the front panel of the dishwasher with 800-grit sandpaper to scuff the surface of the plastic or paint.
- Wipe the surface of the dishwasher down with a tack cloth to remove sanding residue.
- Tape off the surrounding areas on the dishwasher that you do not want to paint, such as the control panel. Place drop cloths on the floor in front of the dishwasher and on the countertop above the dishwasher. Spray paint tends to "overspray" a bit and can get onto other surfaces if you do not protect them.
- Wipe the surface you plan to paint with a degreaser and then wait a few minutes for the degreaser to evaporate.
- Spray the surface of the dishwasher with enamel primer. Overlap each left-to-right stroke by 50 percent to ensure adequate coverage. Allow at least two hours for drying.
- Scuff the surface of the primer with 800-grit sandpaper and then wipe the surface down with a tack cloth.
- Spray the surface of the dishwasher with enamel paint. Overlap each left to right stroke by 50 percent to ensure adequate coverage. Allow at least 24 hours drying time before you use the dishwasher.
How to Paint a Dishwasher
Most dishwashers have a very flat finish that resembles baked-on enamel paint, commonly used on high heat appliances such as your oven. Usually, you can find dishwashers in black white or other basic colors. If you want to paint the front panels on your dishwasher to match the decor of your room, you can easily do so with enamel spray paint. Enamel is the best paint to achieve a thin, durable finish that looks baked on.
Things You Will Need
- How to Install a GE Dishwasher
- My Bosch Dishwasher Top LEDs Won't Light Up
- How to Choose a House Painter, Questions to Ask
- How to Anchor a Dishwasher to the Side of Cabinets
- How to Color Granite
- How to Defoam a Dishwasher
- How to Measure a Chain-link Fence for Paint
- How to Paint Over Porcelain Appliances
- How to Install a Dishwasher With a Height Adjustment
- How to Lubricate a Dishwasher Rack
- How to Repaint a Bath with Enamel Paint
- How to Back-Paint a Glass Backsplash
- How to Remove the Air Gap on a Dishwasher
- How to Repair a Bleach Mark on a Laminate Countertop