Always use the bathroom exhaust fan during a shower. The hot water from the shower creates steam, which condenses on cooler surfaces. Most of us do not take the time to wipe dry the entire bathroom after we have showered, and if the exhaust fan is not sucking out the moisture, then there is a serious threat of mildew and mold growth. Mildew spores---mold in its early stages--will grow on just about anything. This can be a serious problem for anyone in your home with respiratory problems, asthma or allergies. To ensure that you remove as much moisture as possible from the bathroom, the Home Ventilation Institute (HVI) recommends running the fan for 20 minutes after use of the bathroom.
If you use any number of the hundreds of cleaning products out there, you risk introducing harmful toxic chemicals into your indoor environment. To maintain healthy indoor air quality, the Environmental Protection Agency recommends that anyone using harsh chemicals only do so in a properly ventilated room. If you are pregnant or have small children present in your home, avoid use of these products altogether. Instead of using air fresheners in the bathroom, just turn on the exhaust fan for a few minutes and unpleasant smells will disappear.