Things You Will Need
- Screw driver
- Scrub brush
- Water hose
A water softener is a type of water filter system designed to remove iron, magnesium, calcium and other minerals from a home's water supply. Water softeners need regular cleaning for optimal performance.
Follow the steps below to clean your water softener.
- Switch off the power to your water softener and turn off your water main.
- Uncover the salt water tank (brine tank) and carefully remove the brine valve assembly. Set this aside.
- Scoop out the salt and brine (salty water) from the brine tank and discard it. Avoid discarding the brine near any plants.
- Unscrew the bolts that are on either side of the brine tank, and then remove the brine valve chamber.
- Remove and clean the salt plate from the bottom of the brine tank. Set it aside
- Take the brine tank outdoors and scrub it clean with a household scrubbing brush. Rinse thoroughly with a garden hose.
- Re-assemble your water softener. Fill your salt keeper with fresh salt. Add 4 to 6 inches of water.
- Replace the tank's cover, turn the water and electricity back on, and restart the water softener.