How to Clean Your Water Softener
A water softener is a type of water filter system designed to remove iron, magnesium, calcium and other minerals from a home's water supply. Water softeners need regular cleaning for optimal performance. Follow the steps below to clean your water softener.
Things You Will Need
- Screw driver
- Scrub brush
- Water hose
Switch off the power to your water softener and turn off your water main.
Uncover the salt water tank (brine tank) and carefully remove the brine valve assembly. Set this aside.
Scoop out the salt and brine (salty water) from the brine tank and discard it. Avoid discarding the brine near any plants.
Unscrew the bolts that are on either side of the brine tank, and then remove the brine valve chamber.
Remove and clean the salt plate from the bottom of the brine tank. Set it aside
Take the brine tank outdoors and scrub it clean with a household scrubbing brush. Rinse thoroughly with a garden hose.
Re-assemble your water softener. Fill your salt keeper with fresh salt. Add 4 to 6 inches of water.
Replace the tank's cover, turn the water and electricity back on, and restart the water softener.
- How to Clean Stainless Steel Water Tanks
- How to Remove Algae From Fountains Naturally
- How to Troubleshoot a Rayne Water Conditioner
- How to Clean the Heating Element of Mr. Coffee Coffee Makers
- How to Adjust Kenmore Elite Refrigerator Water Pressure
- How to Change a Filter on a Maytag Jetclean Dishwasher