How to Replace a 15 AMP Circuit Breaker
Learn how to replace a 15 amp circuit breaker on your electric service panel.
Things You Will Need
- New circuit breaker (available from a hardware or building supplies store)
Open the door to the service panel and turn off the main circuit breaker.
The door to the service panel exposes only the toggles of the switches. Remove the entire front of the panel by unscrewing the screws that attach it to the box.
The switches can be on the left or right of the center of the box. Locate the switch you wish to remove and disconnect the black wire from it by loosening the set screw on the output side, shown on the left side of this switch. Your switch might be oriented the other way.
Remove the switch by prying it away from the center of the box. It will pull out and away from the center and pivot toward the side where the wire is. Observe carefully how it unhooks from its pivot.
Hook the set screw side of the switch into the panel and snap the switch into place by rotating it toward the center of the box. The notch at the bottom (on the side opposite the wire) snaps into the "live" bussbar at the center of the panel.
Insert the wire on the output side and tighten the set screw.
Reinstall the front of the service panel with screws in the corners as required.
Turn on the main circuit breaker and turn on your new switch. Close the door to the panel
Have someone hold your flashlight for you. All of the lights in the room will go out when you turn off the main breaker.
Nerver turn the main breaker back on until the front panel is reinstalled on the service box.
- Have someone hold your flashlight for you. All of the lights in the room will go out when you turn off the main breaker.
- Nerver turn the main breaker back on until the front panel is reinstalled on the service box.
Gene Tencza has worked in the furniture industry all his life. Tencza has always been a chronic home handyman, mechanic and "Jack of all trades". He has been writing professionally for eHow.com since May of 2009. Tencza has a Bachelor of Science in industrial education from Central Conneticut State University
- Gene Tencza
- Gene Tencza
- Installation of an Arlec Dimmer
- How to Change the Color Panel on a Bosch SHX46A02UC/23 Dishwasher
- How to Mount a Paddle Switch to a Table Saw
- How to Replace a Circuit Breaker With a Higher Amp
- How to Adjust a Johnson Controls Low Pressure Switch
- How to Check an Overload Protector on a Central Air Conditioner