Things You Will Need
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Dawn dish soap
- Dish cloth
When you purchase items in plastic containers, most come with labels attached to the surface which can be difficult to remove. The label can be a price tag, a UPC label, or a label of ingredients.
Reusing plastic containers is good for the environment, and if done properly, there will be no reminder of the label. Caution should be used when working with plastic containers, because scratching the label to remove it can leave marks on the container.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over the entire label. Leave the oil on the label overnight, then lift the edges to determine if the label can be removed. If it is still attached, reapply vegetable oil and let it sit several hours before you test again to see if it can be removed.
- Peel off as much of the label as possible. Spread vegetable oil over the sticky residue remaining and let it sit for one more night.
- Wash the container in warm water with 1 tablespoon of Dawn dish soap. If the residue still remains, apply 1 tablespoon of Dawn dish soap directly to the sticky residue, and wipe with a dish cloth to remove.
- Rinse and dry.