Things You Will Need
- Vinyl lattice
- Silk ivy vines
- Real plants
- Outdoor statuary
- Durable modern 3-D art
- Driftwood and other natural "sculpture"
- Black paint
- Green paint
- Landscape timbers
- Decorative stone wall material
- River rock
- Window well artscapes
Window wells are better than no windows in the basement, but they can be ugly. Looking out at corrugated steel semi-circles is definitely uninspiring.
Decorating these eyesores can create something positive out of an albatross.
- Attach silk ivy in a decorative way to a piece of vinyl lattice and install it in the window well by digging in little holes for the lattice feet and supporting it with stone. Or mix a little concrete to hold it in place. Tilt the indoor louvered blinds so that they are not opened directly, and this outside treatment looks quite charming.
- Install landscape wall-stone inside the well. Depending on the style of stone you choose, the look can be contemporary or traditional. Having a stone extend out farther every now and then creates textural interest.
- Replace the corrugated steel with landscape timbers. If the well is deep enough and extends out far enough, they can be staggered toward the house, creating a sort of terrace, for interest. Live or artificial plants could be placed in the tiers.
- Paint the metal green to mimic a dense planting, and place outdoor statuary or natural pieces like driftwood or large rocks in an interesting pattern in the well. Finish off by placing river rock in the bottom.
- Paint the metal black to fade away. Place a durable, modern 3-D artwork in the well, preferably a shiny metal or brightly colored one. Finish off with river rock or mulch on the bottom if desired.
- Place a window well scene up against the metal. Go to Window Well Expressions (see Resources) to check out the options. Looking out the window can be like looking out of a regular window, with a lovely outdoor scene. If you are artistically talented, you could even paint a mural--or fun floating flowers--directly onto the metal.
The more natural and high-quality the installation, the more pleasing it will be. Cheap fake ivy or dime store-statues will simply look cheap.