Things You Will Need
- Microfiber cloths
- Mild detergent
- Acrylic polish
- Sandpaper (240- or 320-grit)
- Acrylic cleaner
Acrylic is a durable type of plastic that has many uses around the home, office and in industrial settings. From aquariums to eyeglasses, clear acrylic is used in a wide variety of applications.
While acrylic is a versatile material, its surface is soft and susceptible to scratching. Repairing acrylic requires special care to avoid further damaging the plastic.
You will need a cleaner designed specially for use on acrylic surfaces.
- Soak your cloth in water and squeeze a drop of detergent into it. Gently rub the soapy cloth onto the acrylic to clean and remove any surface grime.
- Pour a small amount of acrylic polish onto a cloth and rub into the scratches using small, circular motions. A gentle abrasive will help to buff out any shallow scratches. Continue polishing until the scratch has been diminished or removed.
- Moisten 240- or 320-grit sandpaper. Sand the scratch using a light hand and a circular polishing motion.
- Wipe away any grit or dust caused by the sanding, using a moist cloth.
- Polish the surface using an acrylic cleaner. Apply and use according to the manufacturer's directions to restore the luster of your clear acrylic.