Things You Will Need
- Old-fashioned washing machine with a roller press
- Large washing tub (the tub must be large enough so you can fully submerge the washing machine)
- Rubber gloves
- 1 cup bleach
- 2 cups white vinegar
A mill is needed in order to extract the juice from the stalks of the sweet sorghum plant. A traditional roller press is used to extract the juice from the stalks.
An old-fashioned washing machine with a hand-operated press is an excellent choice for a sorghum mill. It only needs to be properly cleaned before and between uses to make sure it is fully disinfected.
Otherwise, no changes need to be made to the machine.
- Disinfect the machine by soaking it in a tub of water with bleach. Add 1 cup of bleach to the tub of water. There must be enough water in the tub so that the machine can be fully submerged.
- Scrub down all of the parts of the machine. Make sure to wear rubber gloves when doing so.
- Empty the tub and fill it with 2 cups of white vinegar and enough hot water to submerge the machine.
- Put on your rubber gloves. Scrub the machine to get rid of all of the bleach. Rinse the machine under hot water to make sure all of the bleach has been washed away.
- The washing machine is ready to be used as a sorghum mill.