How to Fix a Light Fixture That Got Wet

Diana Braun

Floods and accidental spills create havoc, especially when it comes to electrical devices. Light fixtures may get wet from a ceiling that is experiencing a leak from a flood or from plumbing that has ruptured.

It’s important to use caution when handling wet light fixtures due to the fact that electricity and water can produce a shock or electrocution. The light fixture should not be used and should never be turned on if it becomes wet.


If the light fixture doesn’t work after being allowed to completely dry overnight, it may be permanently damaged and ruined. A new light fixture needs to be purchased and installed.

  1. Unplug the light fixture from the electrical outlet.

  2. Use absorbent pads or paper towels to soak up any water.

  3. Leave the light fixture unplugged overnight to dry.

  4. Plug the light fixture back into the electrical outlet and turn on.