Things You Will Need
- Plastic Storage Bags
- Packing Peanuts
- Small Envelopes
- Combination Wrench Sets
- Crescent Wrenches
- Screwdriver Sets
How to Disassemble Furniture When Preparing for a Move. When you're preparing to move, disassemble furniture for easier transport.
- Gather items that you will need for disassembling furniture, such as screwdrivers, hammers, and small envelopes or plastic storage bags for storing screws and nuts.
- Survey your furniture, such as bookcases, tables, bed frames, and dressers or bureaus with attached mirrors; look for pieces that can be disassembled for your move.
- Remove screws and nuts from furniture pieces.
- For furniture with numerous parts, number the separate pieces and corresponding parts in an unobtrusive spot on the main part of the furniture body with a felt-tip marker; make and keep a simple diagram of the assembly, if necessary, for reference during reassembly.
- Place loose hardware in a small envelope or bag; keep the sealed envelope or bag with the furniture item by securely taping it into place or storing it in a furniture drawer.
- Consider removing large pillows from pillow-backed sofas and packing them separately to prevent soiling during your move.
If you're hiring a professional moving company to transport your goods, save your time and energy by letting the moving crew disassemble your furniture.
Don't be careless with hardware when you're disassembling furniture; avoid headaches during reassembly by saving screws, nuts and other furniture parts.