How to Install Trafficmaster Carpet Tiles
TrafficMASTER makes a variety of floor coverings, including carpet tiles. The tiles are easy to handle and quick and easy to install. Since they come with an adhesive backing, there's no messy glue to deal with. Once they are in place, all the room should need is vacuuming to keep the carpet looking attractive. And, if a tile is stained or damaged, you can easily remove it and replace it with a new one.
Check the floor to make sure it's clean and dry. Wash if necessary. Vacuum the floor to remove all loose dust, dirt and debris.
Put on your safety goggles. Measure and mark the middle points of opposite walls. Snap chalk lines at the points so you have two lines that intersect in the center of the room.
Start laying the TrafficMASTER carpet tiles at the center of the room. Lay the first four tiles down so they make a square. Peel the backing strip off the first tile. Position it so its right edge is on the line. Press the carpet tile firmly in place.
Peel the backing strip off the second tile. Position it beside the first tile. Press it down firmly. Lay the third and fourth carpet tiles down.
Lay the remaining TrafficMASTER Carpet Tiles down around the remainder of the room. Use a utility or carpet knife to trim or cut tiles to fit. Use a carpenter's square to help you cut straight edges or angles.
Things You Will Need
- Safety goggles
- Vacuum cleaner
- Tape measure
- Chalk line
- Trash can
- Utility or carpet knife
- Spare blades
- 24-inch carpenter's square
- If the floor is painted, check to make sure the paint is bonded to the floor so the carpet tiles will stay in place. Do this test at several places: press one end of a strip of sticky tape (such as duct tape) on the floor while you hold the other end. Pull the tape up quickly. If the paint stays intact, it's okay to lay TrafficMASTER carpet tiles over it. If the paint lifts up with the tape, the floor needs to be stripped first.
- Change the blades in the utility or carpet knife as soon as they become dull. It's easier to cut carpet with a sharp blade.
- The air temperature must be at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit to install TrafficMASTER carpet tiles.
- There's an arrow on the back of each carpet tile that tells you the direction of the nap. Make sure the arrow faces the proper direction (depending on the pattern you chose) before you press it into place.
- Wear cut-resistant gloves to protect your hands while cutting the tiles. Always cut away from yourself.
- Don't toss the backing strips you remove from the back of the carpet tiles on the floor. Place them in a trash can so no one slips on them.
- Keep children and pets out of the room while you are installing the TrafficMASTER carpet tiles.
- Make sure the edges of each carpet tile are fit snugly together before you press them into place.