How Do I Know if My Water Pump Is Bad on My Kenmore Washer?
Washing machines, including those built by Kenmore, have internal pumps. These pumps help drain out the water from the washer tub between the wash, rinse, and spin cycles. If the pump is damaged or the pump pulley system is frozen or stiff, the water can become trapped in the washer tub. In both cases, the pump assembly needs to be replaced. You can check by looking for a few signs that a pump is dying or already dead.
Start the washer and wait for the washer tub to fill with water. If you do not hear water or hear a motor whirring, the washer motor may be dead.
Open the washer lid in mid-cycle. Note whether or not the inner tub is still spinning around. The inner tub is the inside surface of the washing compartment with many holes for water draining. If the tub is not spinning but the motor is running, it is possible the pump is dead. Check the pump pulley by removing the pump from the washer and trying to rotate it by hand. If the pulley doesn't turn freely and is frozen or stiff, replace it. Also, if the agitator is moving but the tub isn't, this is a sign the pump is dying. For front-loading washers, do not attempt to open the door mid-cycle. Look through the glass door. If there is enough water to come up against the door, the pump is malfunctioning.
Wait for the washer to finish its cycle. Open the lid. If water is still in the tub, the pump is likely dying or dead.
- If there is no motor sound at all, the motor, lid switch, or power supply is dead.
- If the water is draining but only slowly, a piece of clothing may be jamming the drain tube. Turn off and unplug the washer. Remove the front access panel and pull off the drain tube (large tube connected to the pump) and use pliers to pull out the clothing.
- How to Unlock Door the Door on a GE Washer Model WBVH5100HWW
- Whirlpool Ultimate Care Washer Won't Spin
- How to Clean The Pump Filter on a GE Front Loading Washing Machine
- Hot Tub Spa Pump Troubleshooting
- How to Troubleshoot a Whirlpool Washer LHW0050PQ
- How to Troubleshoot a Maytag Washing Machine That Keeps Spinning