- Cut out the damaged area with tin snips.
- Leave the top part of the old siding intact.
- Cut out a replacement piece 6 inches wider than the piece you cut out. This allows for a 3-inch overlap at each end.
- Cut off the nailing strip along the upper edge of the patch.
- Apply caulk to the side and bottom edges of the cutout.
- Apply roofing cement to the top edge and slide the patch into place.
- Be sure to lock the bottom edge into the section below it.
How to Replace a Section of Aluminum Siding
A dent, tear or hole in aluminum siding can ruin its even look. Follow these steps to return your damaged siding to good condition.