- Loosen and remove the pop-up ball rod nut. The rod and its attached nut, which protrudes from the sink drain pipe, is located below the sink to the rear of the sink drain pipe.
- Pull out the pop-up ball rod from the rear of the drain pipe. This pop-up rod is what raises and lowers the sink stopper that is located inside of the drain pipe.
- Remove the sink stopper from the top of the drain. This is done easily by hand.
- Place the new sink stopper into the drain so that the loop at the bottom of the stopper aligns with the pop-up ball rod.
- Insert the pop-up ball rod back into the hole located at the back of the sink drain. Make sure that the rod end slides through the end hole of the sink stopper.
- Tighten the pop-up ball rod nut back into place over the pop-up ball rod. Apply plumbers tape on the thread of the drain pipe to prevent water leakage.
How to Fix a Sink Stopper
There are two main components that operate a sink stopper: the pop-up rod and the pop-up ball rod. Sink stoppers are commonly made of plastic and are inserted into the sink drain. Located at the bottom of the sink stopper is a slot or hole that allows the pop-up ball rod to be inserted inside the drain pipe. The other end of the pop-up ball rod protrudes out of the drain pipe and connects to the pop-up rod, which runs up to the faucet and allows you to operate the sink stopper in an up or down motion. If a sink stopper breaks, you can replace it yourself instead of hiring a handyman.
Things You Will Need
- How to Disconnect a Refrigerator
- How to Eliminate Odors in Bathroom Sinks
- How to Snake a Drain Pipe
- How Can I Clean Grease From a Drain?
- How to Get Hair Dye Off of the Sink
- How to Unclog a Backed-up Sink
- How to Install Compression Fittings on Copper Plumbing
- How to Polish a Porcelain Sink
- How to Replace a Bathtub Drain Flange
- How to Convert Gauge Thickness to Millimeters
- How to Secure a Goose Decoy to a Pond Irrigation Pipe
- How to Clear a Bathroom Sink Drain
- How to Repair a Cast Iron Soil Pipe
- How to Repair Leaking Kitchen Faucets With One Handle