How to Use Rit Dye on My Shower Curtain
- Empty both boxes of powdered Rit Dye into 4 cups of very hot water. Stir until dissolved. If using bottled Rit Dye, proceed to the next step.
- Add dye mixture into 6 gallons of hot water. Stir until mixed evenly.
- Add [shower curtain](https://society6.com/shower-curtains?utm_source=SFGHG&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=8610) to the dye vat. Completely submerge the cloth in the dye.
- Agitate the cloth frequently (every few minutes) in the dye bath with the stick until color has taken (up to one hour).
- Remove shower curtain from dye bath and rinse with cold water until water runs clear.
- Wash in cold water with mild detergent. Tumble or line dry.
- Press and hang on curtain rod.
Things You Will Need
- 2 boxes or 1 bottle of Rit Dye
- 1 light-colored shower curtain
- 1 large metal tub
- 6 gallons hot water
- 1 long stick
- Cotton is the best fabric for dyeing. Rayon, nylon and acetate also take color well. Linen, silk, wool and ramie can be dyed, but add 1 cup of salt to help the dyeing process.
- For deep colors, double the amount of Rit Dye.
- To dye in the washing machine, fill machine with extra-hot water to the top of the barrel. Add dye. Add shower curtain. Run the machine on extended cycle without detergent so that the cloth remains in the dye for 30 minutes before it is rinsed. Wash curtain again in cold with a mild detergent. To clean machine, run extra hot with detergent and 1 cup of bleach.
- Polyester, rubber and treated fabrics cannot be dyed.