How Do I Take the Agitator Off of My GE Washer?
The GE washer agitator is unlike that of other brands. The agitator secures to the bottom of the tub by snapping over the drive bell in the bottom of the washtub. Some agitators have a bolt under the agitator cap, although many will not have a bolt. If the agitator will not budge you may require the assistance of a friend to help pull the agitator out of the GE washer
Unplug the GE washer power cord from the wall outlet and open the washer lid.
Pull the cap off the top of the agitator. Look for a bolt in the middle of the agitator. If there is a bolt, remove it with the appropriate size socket wrench. If there is no bolt, move on to the next step.
Place your hands around the bottom of the agitator and keep your head away from the top of the agitator. Pull up on the agitator to unsnap it from the base of the tub. You will need to pull hard to release the agitator from the bottom of the tub.
Place a piece of 2 x 4 board across the top of the washer if you cannot get the agitator to release from the tub. Tie a rope around two lower fins of the agitator and around the board. There is a space between the bottom of the agitator fins and the agitator to fit a rope around.
Ask a friend to help you pull the board straight up to release the agitator from the washer tub. The extra leverage of the board will aid in removing the agitator. Lift the agitator completely out of the washer.
Things You Will Need
- Socket wrench set
- Scrap piece of 2 x 4 board
- Keep your head away from the top of the agitator while attempting to pull up on it hard. The agitator will release suddenly and could smack you in the head if you stand directly over it.
- How to Find a Serial Number on a Kenmore Washer
- How to Get Perfume Out of Clothes
- How to Clean Behind the Drum of a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II Washer
- How to Fix a Squeaky Frigidaire Stacked Washer and Dryer
- How to Repair a KitchenAid Dishwasher Model KUDS24SE Shaft
- How to Replace the Agitator Shaft on a GE Hydrowave Washing Machine