How to Take Off the Agitator in a GE Top-Load Washer
If you notice that the clothes in your washer aren't spinning the way they should, it might be time for a new agitator. That's the plastic device in the middle of the wash tub shaped like a top. The agitator spins in the water and helps the clothes become exposed to the detergent. You can take off the agitator in a GE top-load washer to repair it or to replace it with a new one.
Unplug your GE washer from the outlet.
Raise the washer hood and prop it open.
Remove the fabric dispenser from the top of the agitator, if present. Most of these will unscrew off counterclockwise. If there is no fabric dispenser, remove the agitator cap by prying it off the top with a flat-head screwdriver.
Use a socket wrench (and extension, if needed) to remove the agitator bolt in the center of the agitator.
Place your hands underneath the agitator. Turn your head away from the washer opening to prevent an accident if the agitator flies off suddenly. Slowly pull the agitator up and off the agitator hub.
Things You Will Need
- Socket wrench
- Socket set
- Socket extension
- How to Take Apart a Kenmore Washer's Fabric Softener Dispenser
- How to Remove an LG Tromm Laundry Detergent Dispenser
- How Do I Take the Agitator Off of My GE Washer?
- How to Remove Iron Stains From Clothes
- How to Remove the Front Cover From a Maytag Neptune Dryer
- How to Open the Control Panel on a Whirlpool Washer