How to Remove the Agitator from a Speed Queen
Speed Queen manufactures a number of different washer models for use in both home and commercial installations. The top-loading washers utilize a device called an agitator to spin the laundry around inside the tub. This helps expose the fibers in the clothes to all the cleaning power of the laundry detergent in the water. If needed, you can remove the agitator from a Speed Queen so you can replace it with a new one.
Unplug the Speed Queen washer from the outlet. If you cannot reach the socket, cut the power at the main circuit breaker. Test that the connection has been cut by trying to start the washer. When it no longer starts, you have successfully cut the power.
Lift the washer hood and prop it in the open position.
Unscrew the cap on the top of the Speed Queen agitator by turning it counterclockwise. Use a pair of pliers if it is too hard to do by hand.
Tap the agitator up and down with a rubber mallet. This will help jar the agitator loose from the shaft.
Grab beneath the agitator with both hands and remove it from the Speed Queen by lifting straight up. Keep your head away from the agitator as you do this, in case it slides off the shaft suddenly.
Things You Will Need
- Rubber mallet
- A hard-to-remove agitator can be loosened by running a short load in the washer on the highest temperature setting. The hot water causes the plastic to expand, making removal of the agitator from the Speed Queen easier.
- How to Balance a Frigidaire Washing Machine
- How Do I Change the Belt for a Kenmore 700 Series Dryer?
- How to Unlock Door the Door on a GE Washer Model WBVH5100HWW
- My Maytag Washer Won't Agitate or Spin
- How to Clean Behind the Drum of a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II Washer
- How to Remove the Front Cover on a Maytag Atlantis