- Unplug the washing machine from the socket where it is currently connected.
- Open the hood over the tub and rest it against the control panel.
- Examine the top of the agitator. If this agitator has a fabric dispenser on the top, remove this by twisting the dispenser counter-clockwise. Otherwise, the agitator will probably have a cap on top covering the agitator bolt. Pry the top off of the agitator with the edge of a flat-blade screwdriver.
- Remove the agitator bolt with a socket wrench and extension, if needed.
- Put on a pair of sturdy work gloves. Reach underneath the agitator and grasp it firmly. Pull up on the agitator and slide it up and off the agitator shaft. Set aside.
- Clean the part of the tub and agitator hub concealed by the agitator with a standard bathroom cleaner and rag. A nylon brush can be used to get off any stubborn mold or mildew. Clean off the bottom of the agitator while it is out of the machine as well.
- Apply a few drops of dish soap to the agitator hub. Slide the agitator back over the hub. Replace the agitator screw and tighten. Replace the cap or fabric dispenser.
- Run a short load on the highest temperature setting. Pour 1/4 cup of bleach into the machine to rinse it out and help disinfect after cleaning.
Things You Will Need
- Flat-blade screwdriver
- Socket wrench
- Socket set
- Dish soap
- Bathroom cleaner
- Nylon brush
- Attach a socket extension, if needed, in order to reach inside the agitator to loosen the bolt.