How to Remove Rust With Salt
Rust is one of the most difficult stains to remove. Using a combination of salt and lemon juice to remove rust is a safe, environmentally-friendly and effective way to get rid of a rust stain, whether on a surface or on an article of clothing.
Mix salt and lemon juice in a bowl. Add enough lemon juice so that you create a thick paste.
Spread the paste onto the rusty surface with a dry cloth and let it sit for half an hour. If you are removing rust from an article of clothing, lay the clothing on a flat surface and spread the mixture on the stain.
Rinse the area with cool water. If the rust stain is still there, apply a fresh coat of salt mixture. You may need to repeat these steps for several hours before the rust is gone.
Things You Will Need
- Salt (enough to completely cover the stain)
- Lemon juice (enough to completely cover the stain)
- Lime juice can be used in place of lemon juice.
- If you are removing rust from a tougher surface, you can scrape it away with a brush or scrubber.
- Sometimes you will need to leave the mixture on the rusty surface overnight or even longer.
- Do not use this method on a delicate piece of clothing, as the lemon juice could damage it.