- Remove the old doorknob by taking out the screws located on either side of the knob. If there are no screws visible, remove the inside door knob first by locating the catch inside a little slot or hole and releasing it with a small flat-head screwdriver or sharp, pointed instrument such as an awl or pin.
- Pull the two halves of the doorknob apart and out of the door.
- Measure the hole in the door and bolt plate or strike plate with a measuring tape. If necessary, replace the old doorknob until the new one can be installed; go to a local hardware store and purchase a new one.
- Test the new lock and keys to make sure everything works before beginning the installation.
- Install the new latch and bolt plate on the edge of the door.
- Insert the half of the door knob that has the spindle, then slip the other half carefully in place with the screws lined up.
- Screw both halves together and test the lock again.
How to Install New Door Locks
Installation of new door locks is an important aspect of moving into a home to increase your home's security. You may also elect to install a new lock if the current lock is poorly installed or does not work correctly because the mechanism has worn out. Replacement of the existing lock requires accurate measurement of the hole in the door so that you can purchase an appropriate replacement to simplify the installation process.
Things You Will Need
- How Do I Disassemble Dexter Locks?
- How to Install a Jeld Wen Bifold
- How to Install a Dummy Door Knob on a Pre-Bored Door
- How to Put a Lock on Your Closet
- How to Change Entry Keys for Doors
- How to Install Baldwin Door Knobs
- How to Install a MaxTech Surface-Mount Deadbolt Lock
- Kwikset Kwik-Install Instruction
- How to Install a Deadbolt Lock in an Exterior Door
- How to Install a Schlage Deadbolt
- How to Replace an Exterior Door Lock
- How to Replace a Microwave Handle
- How to Open a Mortice Lock
- How to Take Off Old Door Knobs & Locks