How Do I Get a Lazyboy Recliner Handle Off?
La-Z-Boy recliners feature a handle on the side of the chair to raise and lower the foot rest. Over time, the handle can wear or break, requiring a replacement. Getting a La-Z-Boy recliner handle off the chair takes patience and steady force. The handle mounts to a square shaft, which makes removing it difficult. You need to order a replacement handle through a La-Z-Boy dealer before removing the old handle, because many dealers do not have replacements in stock.
Locate the cover that hides the securing set screw on the handle. There is a small circular seam that is visible either on the end of the handle near the handle shaft or on the back of the handle. Insert the blade of a utility knife into the seam to pry off the cover.
Remove the set screw securing the handle to the handle shaft with an Allen wrench.
Place the claw of a hammer between the handle and the chair at the top of the handle where it connects to the shaft. Loosen the handle with the hammer, using the frame of the chair for leverage.
Reposition the hammer under the bottom of the handle between the chair and handle. Loosen the bottom portion of the handle.
Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until the handle comes off the shaft.
- Installation of a new handle requires tapping it onto the shaft with a padded hammer. The padding avoids damaging the handle finish.
Kenneth Crawford is a freelance writer with more than 10 years of experience. His work has appeared in both print and online publications, including "The American Chronicle." Crawford holds an associate degree in business administration from Commonwealth College.
- Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images
- How to Change the Height of a Pottery Barn Swivel Chair
- How to Repair a Kohler Single Handle Shower
- How to Remove a Link From a Riding Lawn Mower Chain
- How to Fix a Broken Drawer With the Handle Broken Off
- How to Remove Paint From an Aluminum Chair
- How to Repair a Leaky Stem Faucet on a Bathroom Sink