- Purchase and use only high efficiency detergent to combat odors from the washer. It is designed for use with HE detergent only. Manufacturer's instructions also call for cleaning the inside of the washer once a month with 1/3 cup of bleach, using hot water on the "Regular/Heavy Soil" cycle.
- Remove the lint filter to clean it if you are experiencing slow dry times. It should be cleaned once a month. Clean the filter by putting a towel or tray under the filter door to catch any water and then opening the door to access the filter. Turn the filter counter-clockwise only halfway to pull it out and clean with a soft brush under running water.
- Open the washer door between cycles to let it air out. This will prevent odors and help remove any odors you may be experiencing.
- Check the power cord to make certain that it is securely in the outlet if your washer will not start. Also check that the door is securely closed and that a cycle has been selected and the "Start" button pushed.
- Look for a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker if your washer stops. You can replace the fuse or reset the breaker if this is the problem. If you are using an extension cord, it can also cause the washer to stop. Manufacturer's instructions recommend never using an extension cord with the washer.
- Redistribute the load of laundry in the washer if it will not drain or if the washer makes excessive noise. An overloaded machine can also result in laundry that is too wet at the completion of the cycle.
How to Troubleshoot a Whirlpool Washer LHW0050PQ
The LHW0050PQ model Whirlpool washer is a compact, front-loading machine. It features a total of 11 wash cycles, five temperature setting selections and automatic water level control. If you have this washing machine model in your home, troubleshooting any problems with it on your own may save you the expense of a service technician. Common problems with the Whirlpool LHW0050PQ washing machine include failing to start, strange odors and sounds, slow dry times and stopping in the middle of a washing cycle.