How Can I Remove My Icemaker in My Whirlpool Refrigerator?
There's nothing better on a summer's day than reaching into your Whirlpool refrigerator's freezer compartment and grabbing a handful of ice for a refreshing summer beverage. That is, unless there's no ice there. A broken ice maker can darken even the brightest summer day. You can remedy the problem by removing the ice maker in your Whirlpool refrigerator and replacing it with a new one.
- Unplug the Whirlpool refrigerator where the ice dispenser you wish to remove is installed. If the plug is in a hard-to-reach location, turn off the power for the refrigerator via the circuit that controls the refrigerator at the main circuit breaker.
- Open the freezer compartment. Remove anything inside that might be in the way of the ice maker, such as frozen goods. Pull the ice storage compartment out from underneath the ice maker. Pull out the shelf located directly beneath the ice maker.
- Locate the two notches at the bottom of the front face of the ice maker. Insert a screwdriver into one of the holes and gently twist it. This will pop the face off the ice maker.
- Loosen the screws on the side rails holding the Whirlpool ice maker in place on the refrigerator. Where these screws are placed can differ depending on your model.
- Pull the ice maker gently towards you and out of the refrigerator a few inches. Don't pull too hard or too fast because the ice maker is still connected to the wiring harness at the rear.
- Look at the back of the ice maker and locate where it plugs into the wiring harness. Press in on the plastic tabs on the side and pull the sockets on the harness apart.
- Pull the Whirlpool ice maker out of the freezer.
Things You Will Need
- The instructions for removing the ice maker in your whirlpool refrigerator may differ. Consult the Whirlpool service manual for instructions.