How to Remove an Insinkerator 444
The InSinkErator 444 or "Badger 444" is a garbage disposal made by the company with the same name. The InSinkErator manufacturers waste disposal units and water dispensers. If a InSinkErator Badger 444 malfunctions and the problem cannot be identified and/or fixed, it will be necessary to remove it from the sink and replace it. Removing an InSinkErator 444 only requires a few tools and can be done in less than 30 minutes.
Turn off power to the InSinkErator 444 by switching off the dedicated breaker in the main breaker panel. Attempt to turn on the Badger 444 to confirm the power is off.
Disconnect the electrical wires from the InSinkErator by removing the bottom plate and unscrewing the wire clamps with a screwdriver. Unfasten the ground, the positive and negative wire from the Badger by turning the lock nut free with pliers and push the wires aside.
Place a bucket directly under the InSinkErator. Disconnect the discharge hose connected to the dishwasher with pliers if applicable. Allow the hose to drain into the bucket.
Turn the mounting ring located at the top of the InSinkErator counterclockwise until is becomes unattached. Keep one hand under the Badger 444 to support its weight once the mounting ring comes loose.
Unfasten the retaining ring's assembly bolts with pliers. Then pry off the retaining ring with a screwdriver. You may now run the drain directly to the sink or install a new waste disposal unit.
- "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Simple Home Repair"; Judy Ostrow; 2007
- "Dare to Repair Plumbing"; Julie Sussman, Stephanie Glakas-Tenet; 2005
Owen Richason grew up working in his family's small contracting business. He later became an outplacement consultant, then a retail business consultant. Richason is a former personal finance and business writer for "Tampa Bay Business and Financier." He now writes for various publications, websites and blogs.
- How to Get to the Motor of a Maytag Atlantis Washer
- How to Remove Grease Stains From Ceramic Tile
- How to Connect a Hitachi DVI Television to an HDMI Receiver
- How to Troubleshoot My InSinkErator 333
- What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of an Intrusion Detection System?
- How to Remove Sink Drain Flange