How to Get Rid of the Polyurethane Smell in a Bag
The smell of polyurethane on a newly finished floor usually permeates every room in the home until the gases wear off. Unfortunately, the smell can remain on various items in the home, such as fabric bags. There are a variety of remedies you can use to eliminate the polyurethane smell and make the bag smell fresh again.
- Take the bag outside on a sunny day and hang it upside down. Repeat this daily until the smell disappears.
- Spray your bag with an odor-eliminating spray. While many air fresheners merely mask smells, a few are designed to eliminate them completely. Test the spray on a small section of the bag to ensure it is safe to use.
- Alternatively, pour a cup of baking soda inside the bag, close it and shake to distribute the powder. Let the baking soda stay in the bag overnight. Pour out the baking soda the following day and shake the bag to remove any residue.
- Wash the bag in a bucket of water mixed with ½ cup of vinegar and ½ cup of baking soda. A mixture of baking soda and vinegar creates a foaming action that lifts stains and smells. Rinse the bag in clean water, then hang it outside to dry. Before proceeding, check the label to see if the bag is washable.
- Prepare a mixture containing equal parts of water and vinegar and pour into a spray bottle. Spray the bag, inside and out, and let it dry. The vinegar will eliminate the odor, but this is recommended only for washable fabric bags.