How to Decoupage a Wall
Decoupage is the process of pasting pictures on a surface. You can decoupage your wall with pictures from magazines, professional posters or images. Choose the right method and materials to make sure the decoupage lasts for a long time without peeling or buckling off the wall. Choose the pictures wisely as it is hard to remove pictures without damaging the entire wall. Use decoupage glue to attach the pictures to the wall. The glue will also act as a protective finish for the pictures.
- Clean the wall thoroughly with an all-purpose cleaner and paper towels. Let the wall dry completely.
- Lay drop cloths over the floor and move furniture away from the wall to protect the items in your home.
- Put on gloves to protect your skin from the glue.
- Mix the glue according to the manufacturer's instructions. Not all glue will require this preparation, but choose a glue that will work for pictures and a wall.
- Dip a sponge brush into the glue and brush it on the back side of a picture. Press the picture on the wall. This will firmly attach the picture to the wall.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the pictures.
- Push the brush over the pictures to smooth out air bubbles. Work quickly so that the bubbles don't dry out and stay on the wall.
- Let the pictures dry until they are firmly attached to the wall. This could take several hours.
- Dip the sponge brush into the glue and brush it over the dried decoupage. This protective layer of glue will help the decoupage last longer and will make it shine.
- Let the area dry completely.
Things You Will Need
- All-purpose cleaner
- Paper towels
- Drop cloths
- Decoupage glue
- Sponge brush
- Clean up brushes and any spills of the decoupage glue with mineral oil.