Weight of a Queen-Size Mattress
The weight of your queen mattress can make or break your moving or shipping budget and is a pivotal factor for custom frames. Queen mattress weights depend on the type of mattress and specific queen size--whether standard or extra-long--but industry average weight ranges offer guidelines.
A standard queen mattress is 60 inches wide by 80 inches long. According to website Sleepy's, the queen is the dominant mattress size in the United States. It is 6 inches wider and 5 inches longer than a full-size bed and offers an approximate width of 30 inches per person for two people sharing a queen mattress. An extra-long queen mattress--also known as an XL or California queen--adds 4 inches to the length of a standard queen, making it 60-by-84 inches.
Standard mattresses are called innerspring because springs support the structure. A queen innerspring mattress averages 55 to 65 lbs. The weight depends on the type of spring material and outer mattress padding and stitching. The additional 4 inches of an XL queen will cause it to weigh in at the higher end of the average.
Memory foam mattresses such as Tempur-Pedic are made of dense foam rather than springs. The foam material, which conforms to resting body shape and weight, is heavier than an innerspring mattress. A queen memory foam mattress averages 100 lbs.--almost double the weight of a queen innerspring mattress.
Air chamber mattresses such as Sleep Number by Select Comfort are constructed of air chambers rather than springs or memory foam. The air chambers are adjustable to the sleeper's comfort preference such as soft or firm and--like innerspring--are lighter than memory foam. A queen air chamber mattress is the same average weight as an innerspring: 55 to 65 lbs.
Packaging will also increase mattress weight for shipping orders. Consult the store or manufacturer for total weight including packaging, shipping and handling.
- David Boothe; Sales Associate, Al's Discount Furniture; North Hollywood, California
- U.S. Mattress: Mattress Size Information
- AmeriSleep: How Much Does a Memory Foam Mattress Weigh
- Sleep Number: How Do I Move My Sleep Number Bed
Amie Martin has more than 20 years of publishing experience in proofreading, editing, writing, design and layout. She writes for various websites, specializing in branding, marketing and technical communications. Martin has an Associate of Applied Science in merchandising from Bay State College and a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Massachusetts, Boston.
- Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images
- What Are the Dimensions of a California King Waterbed?
- What Is the Difference in Size Between a Queen Size Mattress & a King Size Mattress?
- How to Inflate an Eddie Bauer Insta-Bed
- How to Size a Filter in an HVAC System
- Beds Similar to the Serta Cloud Nine Bed
- Is a California King Bigger Than a Regular King?