How to Find Government Grants for Home Improvement

How to Find Government Grants for Home Improvement. Both HUD and the Rural Department of the U.S. Department of Agriculture allocate funds to each state to provide home improvement grants.

The eligibility requirements for each state vary slightly, but eligible applicants would include low income earners, the elderly, the disabled, minorities, veterans or people who live in a government defined rural area (population of less than 10,000) or have a primary residence in a disaster area.

  1. Contact your city, county or local community development office or office of rural development. If you are unsure of how to find your local office, the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials at nahro.com or the information center at the Office of Community Planning and Development at comcon.org will be able to help.

  2. Apply through the housing office if you meet their home improvement grant requirements or if you live in a community that has been selected for revitalization. These are known as block-grant funds, and are used to promote development in and improve neighborhoods.

  3. Make sure to use the grant funds appropriately if your application is approved. These funds are intended to be used for improvements required due to health and safety hazards (such as adding a wheelchair ramp), inside or outside renovations like paint or siding, repairs, odd jobs or weatherization. In some cases, supplies and assistance may be provided, but all eligibility and income requirements must be met.

  4. Be prepared. An adviser from the housing office will order an inspection of your home both before and after improvements are made.

  5. Warning

    Beware of scams. The government will never call you offering grants in exchange for certain "processing fees." Government grant funds are distributed to different subsidiaries from state to state and must be applied for with regard to stringent qualifications.