Things You Will Need
- Linseed oil
- Cleaning rags
- Mop, optional
When natural wood is coated with a protected varnish finish, you get both a gloss look plus a protective barrier that prolongs the like-new appearance of the wood. Varnished wood is fairly easy to clean, as the varnish is a flat, slick surface that most buildup can be wiped off of.
By mixing your own cleaning solution for the varnished wood, you will save both time and money.
- Dust the varnished wood with a cleaning rag or mop during your regular household cleaning routine. If sticky residue is left behind, dampen the rag or mop with warm water and wipe over the varnish again.
- Mix 2 portions linseed oil and 1 portion white vinegar in a bowl.
- Drizzle the combination over your cleaning rag or mop, and squeeze the rag or mop to saturate the material evenly.
- Wipe the mop or cloth over the varnish, wiping with the wood grain.
- Let the varnished wood air dry, and wipe the varnish with a dry rag or towel to remove excess cleaner residue off of the varnished wood.