Things You Will Need
- Nozzle attachment
- Liquid bleach
When the local sanitation services department delivers a dumpster to your home for weekly trash pickup, the idea of cleaning that dumpster is probably not anyone’s idea of a nice Saturday morning activity. However, your garbage dumpster can become quite gross and stinky after a while.
This is especially true if it sits outside in the hot sun or inside a warm garage. Clean a dumpster in a short amount of time, quickly and easily, with some disinfectant, a hose and an old mop.
- Ensure that the dumpster is completely empty.
- Roll the dumpster out to the street, alley or the edge of the driveway.
- Place a nozzle on the end of your hose. This nozzle ideally should have settings that control the output of the water. Put the nozzle on the strongest or highest setting.
- Rinse out the dumpster by spraying a steady stream of water down the sides and along the bottom.
- Fill the dumpster with about six inches of water.
- Add one or two cups of liquid bleach or another disinfectant to the water.
- Use an old mop or scrubbing brush to scrub down the inside of the dumpster and remove any debris.
- Wait 15 to 30 minutes before emptying the dumpster.
- Lay the dumpster on its side and allow the water to drain out.
- Hose down the inside of the dumpster.
- Leave the dumpster open to dry. Do not put any trash in the dumpster until it is completely dry, as the moisture might become a new breeding ground for dirt and germs.