How to Put Out a Kitchen Fire

Fires have a greater chance of starting in your kitchen than anywhere else in your home.

There are three kinds of fires; handling each one the right way will help keep the flames from spreading. For the best overall protection, purchase a multipurpose, dry-chemical extinguisher rated for Class A, B and C fires. Hang it in your kitchen, in an easily accessible place away from the stove.

If your clothes are burning, immediately drop to the ground and roll back and forth quickly.

If the fire is large or spreading fast, evacuate the residence immediately, then call emergency to report the fire.

For fires on wood, paper and cloth, use water or a Class A fire extinguisher to douse the flames. Place small objects in the sink to help contain the fire.

If fat or grease in a pan starts burning, quickly slide a lid over the pan to cover it completely and cut off the oxygen supply. Turn off the heat.

For small grease fires, throw baking soda over the flames or use a Class B fire extinguisher.

For electrical fires, throw baking soda over the flames or use a Class C fire extinguisher.

If you have a fire in your oven, close the oven door and turn off the heat to smother the flames.

In general, try to put out a fire if it's small. But if the flames begin spreading, do not remain in the kitchen.

To prevent future fires, always keep your stove, oven and hood clean, and avoid overloading outlets or circuits with too many appliances.

Things You Will Need

  • Baking Soda
  • Pan Lid
  • ABC-rated Fire Extinguisher

Tip

  • To use a fire extinguisher, pull the pin to release the lock, aim the nozzle at the back of the fire and sweep from side to side while squeezing the handle.

Warnings

  • Never use water on a grease fire or an electrical fire. The grease will splatter, making the fire spread even more. Water on an electrical fire can cause serious shocks.
  • Don't turn on your stove's exhaust fan if there's a fire. This could spread the flames into the walls of the house.