- Go to a local crafts store and look for a glass table lamp. You want one that has a round or oval-shaped globe that can be filled with shells. The lamp should come with all the necessary lighting components.
- Buy a lampshade to fit the lamp. Choose between round or square shades. Pick up the appropriate wattage light bulb if you don't have one at home.
- Turn the lamp upside down. Unscrew the base from the lamp. Keep the metal rod in place, which runs from the top to bottom of the lamp.
- Begin to fill the glass globe with shells. Carefully put each one in place by inserting your hand inside the globe.
- Take care to place the best looking shells along the outside of the glass. Any shells that are broken or discolored can be used in the center for filler.
- Continue to fill the globe with shells until it's full. The shells will shift slightly when you turn the lamp upright so fill it as much as possible.
- Screw the base back into the lamp. Turn it upright and look at your creation. Add the light bulb and lampshade and plug it in.
Things You Will Need
- Glass lamp
- Lighting components
- Light bulb
- If you have some truly unique shells, like starfish or conch shells, separate them so one is showing on each side of the lamp.
- Take into account the shell colors when arranging them. This will prevent you from having too many dark shells in one area.
- Decorate the lamp shade by hot gluing some shells along the base. This will make the lamp look even more custom-made.