Make the Base Microwave Oven Mitt
- Draw the oven mitt outlines. Use the fabric marker to draw a rounded rectangle on a sheet of binder paper, measuring 5 1/2 inches wide and 10 inches long between its longest points.
- Cut out the template and place it on top of the quilting fabric. Trace around the template twice with the fabric marker and use scissors to cut out the shapes.
- Assemble the base mitt. Place one oven mitt fabric cutout, pattern-side down, on a table. Place a larger piece of cotton batting on top of the fabric, followed by the polyester insulating material and second fabric mitt cutout. Use a baste stitch around the edges to secure the layers in place.
Create Finger Pockets
- Trace the oven mitt onto new fabric using the marker and cut the shape out with scissors. Measure 4 inches vertically in either direction, cut off the ends of the shape to form semicircles and set them aside.
- Place one of the semicircles face-down on the table, layering cotton batting and the other semicircle right side up on top of it.
- Stitch around the edges.
- Repeat Steps 1 and 2 to create an additional finger pocket.
Assemble the Microwave Oven Mitt
- Cut strips of bias tape for binding. Use scissors to cut 2 1/4-inch-wide strips, two at a length of 8 inches and one at 33 inches long.
- Sew the 8-inch-long bias tape strips along the finger pockets' straight sides.
- Attach the finger pockets. Pin one finger pocket on top of each end of the microwave oven mitt and place bias tape around the top edges. Sew the bias tape in place to affix the pockets.
- Place bias tape around the remainder of the oven mitt's edges and sew in place to secure.
Things You Will Need
- Quilting fabric
- Cotton batting
- Polyester insulating material
- Bias tape
- Measuring tape
- Fabric marker
- Binder paper
- Needle and thread
- To create a pair of oven mitts, complete each section of steps twice. Use a differently patterned fabric for the finger pockets for extra flair and easier insertion. Microwave oven mitts can also be used to safely handle hot teakettle handles.