- Cut off power to the room. Climb your ladder, and remove the existing light fixture from the ceiling box by taking out the mounting screws and disconnecting the electrical wires.
- Locate the mounting bracket in the fan kit. It will be a metal flange the size of a saucer designed to connect to the electrical box with screws; it will likely have a hook on it. Connect the mounting bracket to the box using the provided screws. Pull the loose wires from the box through the hole in the bracket so they hang down.
- Assemble the fan on the floor according to its instructions. Carry it up the ladder, and hang it from the hook on the bracket, inserting the hook in the small hole near the edge of the fan's canopy.
- Connect the white wire from the fan to the white wire from the box, twisting a wire nut around them. Connect the black wire from the fan to the black wire from the box. Connect the bare copper grounding wire from the box to the green grounding screw on the fan, tightening the screw to hold it in place.
- Raise the canopy of the fan up to the brackets, tucking the wires into the canopy as you do. Twist the slotted screw holes on the edge of the canopy onto the screws jutting out from the sides of the mounting bracket. Tighten the screws. Finish assembling the fan according to its instructions. Turn the power back on.
How to Install a Hunter Ceiling Fan
Ceiling fans never seem to go out of style, perhaps because they are that rare combination of good-looking and useful. Just about the only drawback to a ceiling fan is the trouble it takes to install it; a ceiling fan's bulk makes it considerably more difficult to hook up than a standard light fixture. Hunter and some other brands have partly addressed this issue by including in their kits a mounting bracket that goes onto the electrical box before the rest of the fan and has a hook from which you hang the fan while you do the wiring, eliminating the need to balance the fan on your ladder.
Things You Will Need
- Always turn off the power before working on any electrical fixture.
- How to Add Light Fixtures to Ceiling Fans
- How to Hang a Battery Operated Gazebo Fan With Lights
- How to Install a Ceiling Fan in a Manufactured Home
- How to Update Dome Lighting in the Kitchen
- How to Tighten a Loose Ceiling Fan
- How to Install a Hampton Bay Light Kit
- How to Replace a Whirlpool Microwave Fan
- How do I Install a Litex Ceiling Fan?
- How to Reverse the Direction of a Fan
- How to Install a NuTone Bath Fan
- How to Wire a Hampton Bay Fan
- How to Make a Desk Fan Go Faster
- How Do I Repair Floor Fans?
- How to Install a Remodel Ceiling Box