How to Polish Platinum Rings
Platinum, a popular choice for engagement and wedding rings, is known for its strength, durability and ability to resist permanent scratches. With normal wear and age, a platinum ring will develop a patina that dulls its shiny appearance. While some people may prefer this patina, others will opt to polish their platinum rings. Polishing platinum is a simple process that can be completed at home.
Wash the platinum ring with mild soap and warm water. Dry thoroughly with a soft cloth.
Apply a natural jewelry tarnish cleaner to the ring, following the product instructions. Natural cleaners will contain only natural ingredients, such as plant-based extracts.
Rinse the ring with warm water and polish with a professional jewelry polishing cloth.
Rinse the ring with warm water to remove any residue from the polishing cloth, and dry it thoroughly with a soft, clean cloth.
Things You Will Need
- Mild soap
- Warm water
- Dry soft cloth
- Natural jewelry tarnish cleaner
- Professional polishing cloth
- Professional polishing cloths and natural tarnish cleaners can often be purchased at jewelry stores.
- If polishing your platinum ring at home does not give you the results you desire, consider taking your ring to a jeweler to have the polishing professionally done.
- Never use harsh cleaners or polishers on your platinum ring.