- Turn off the power for the dishwasher at the main circuit.
- Locate the end of the drain hose where it is attached beneath the sink. It will be attached either directly to the tail piece located just beneath the drain, or to a garbage disposal beneath the sink, depending on your installation.
- Use the screwdriver to loosen the hose clamp holding the hose in place beneath the sink.
- Apply a few drops of liquid soap to the drain hose coupling. Slip the coupling inside the end of the drain hose leading back to the dishwasher. Secure with the hose clamp.
- Apply a few drops of the soap to the other end of the coupling. Attach a drain hose extension to this end of the coupling. Secure in place with a hose clamp.
- Reattach the end of the extension hose to the drain inlet or the garbage disposal. Secure with the clamp.
Things You Will Need
- Drain hose extension
- Hose clamp
- Drain hose extension coupling
- Dish soap
- Instead of using a coupling to increase the distance of your drain hose, you can also install a longer drain hose. This option, however, requires a bit more work, as you will need to access the back of the dishwashing machine in order to remove the old drain hose and attach the new one.