Loose handles on a refrigerator can be annoying and eventually damage the skin of the refrigerator door if not corrected. The process of fixing a loose handle on a KitchenAid refrigerator depends on the type of refrigerator and handles you have.
Some handles have visible screws while others have decorative trim covering the screws. There are also handles that simply slip over handle brackets.
Fixing loose handles is a matter of repositioning the handle and tightening the screws.
Refrigerators With Trim Kits
- Slide the upper and lower trim off each handle. Find the seam where the curve of the handle meets the door. Grasp the trim by the side. Slide the trim **up** on the upper piece and slide the trim **down** on the lower piece.
- Loosen the screws attaching the handles one full turn with a Phillips screwdriver. Press the handle against the door firmly and retighten all four screws.
Gently Remove Trim
Locate Screws and Tighten Screws
Refrigerators Without Trim
- Slide the handles straight up if your handles do not have visible screws. The handle slides over brackets that secure to the refrigerator. (For handles with screws, see above.)
- Look at the inside of the handles where they slide over the bracket and inspect for damage. Cracked handles require replacement.
- Tighten the screws securing the handle brackets to the refrigerator door with a Phillips screwdriver. Position the handles over the brackets and pull down to secure the handles.
Slide Handle Off Bracket
Check For Damage
Tighten Bracket Screws
- Open the door that has the loose handle. Loosen the screws that secure the handle to the top and lower edge of the door with a Phillips-head screwdriver. Turn the screws one full turn counterclockwise.
- Push the handle firmly against the door and tighten the screws.
Press Firm and Tighten Screws
- Slide the lower trim off the handle of the refrigerator door. The bottom of the handle uses a decorative strip to cover the lower screws. Insert a **flat** screwdriver into the visible seam to slide the trim down.
- Loosen the screws securing the bottom of the handle on the face of the door and the screws on the top edge of the door with the **Phillips** screwdriver. Push the handle firmly against the door and retighten the screws. Slide the decorative trim back over the lower part of the handle until it snaps into place.
- Phillips Screwdriver
- Flat Screwdriver