- Turn off the machine and unplug it. Let it cool off if it has overheated.
- Turn the machine on its side so you can access the foot of the machine and the brush bar. You may completely remove the foot of some machines by pressing the two yellow release buttons on the top of the foot of the machine.
- Remove the soleplate that covers the brush bar and holds it in place. This will generally require twisting bright yellow or red screws to the unlocked position and pulling off the soleplate. Use a coin to twist the screws.
- Remove the brush bar. Some brush bars will slide out in one direction while others will come apart in the center and slide out in opposite directions.
- Remove all of the dirt, dust and debris that has stuck to the brush bar. Debris can cause the brush bar to stop moving, which will turn off the entire machine. Use scissors to cut hair or thread that has wrapped around the brush bar. Clean out the inside of the foot of the machine with a dry rag.
- Put the brush bar back into the machine, and put the soleplate back on. Press the foot back into the vacuu,m and press the reset button to reset the brush bar.
- Pull out all of the hoses from their casings to check inside for blockages. Generally, you may remove the hoses by pressing the bright yellow hose release buttons.
- Check inside the hoses and the air intake areas in the machine for blockages. Remove any blockages with a long-handled brush. Press the hoses back into the machine.
DIY: How to Repair a Dyson
Repairing a Dyson vacuum yourself may save money on professional repairs. However, repairing the vacuum yourself could void the warranty if it is still valid. Always check with the Dyson Company about whether the warranty has expired or that it will not cover the cost of your repairs. Each Dyson vacuum has slightly different parts and processes, but each requires similar repair steps. Consult your user's guide for more specific instructions on a particular vacuum model.
Things You Will Need
- How do I Fix an Electrolux Ambassador Vacuum Cleaner?
- How to Replace the Bearings of a Front Loading Washing Machine
- Instructions for the Nano-Lite Hoover
- How to Fix the Tub on a GE Washing Machine
- How to Disassemble a Roomba
- How to Remove the Brush on a Dyson DC14
- How to Hook Up Air Compressor Lines
- Shark Plus Vacuum Instructions
- How to Use a Carpet Extractor
- How Do I Disassemble the Agitator on My Whirlpool Washer?
- How to Install an LG Washer
- How to Replace an Electrical Cord on an Electrolux Vacuum
- How to Clean a Homelite Spark Arrestor Screen
- How to Remove Mineral Deposits That Build Up in a Mr. Coffee Machine