Instructions on How to Install Anchor Bolts
Anchor bolts, also commonly referred to as wall anchors, are devices designed to increase the load capacity of screws and bolts in surfaces such as drywall, brick and concrete. Once installed, the anchors grab hold either inside or behind the wall in order to prevent the mounting screw from ripping out due to the weight of the item being mounted. Anchor bolts come in several varieties and materials, as well as a wide range of sizes. The size and type of anchor bolt you use will depend on the weight of the item being mounted and the type of wall to which it will be attached.
- Drill a hole in the wall at the location where you want to mount your item. Depending on the type of anchor bolt, the hole will need to be either slightly larger or slightly smaller than the diameter of the anchor bolt hardware. Consult the instructions included with your anchor bolts for proper hole size.
- Insert the anchor bolt into the hole. With hollow plastic anchor bolts, you will have to hammer them into the hole to ensure that they are properly seated.
- Attach the mounting hardware to the threaded screw that came with your anchor bolt and insert it into the opening on the anchor bolt. Tighten the screw until it is firmly seated inside the anchor bolt.
- Hang the item onto the mounting hardware.
Things You Will Need
- Power drill
- Drill bit set
- Anchor bolts
- Mounting hardware
- Screwdriver or wrench (depending on type of anchor bolt)
- Do not exceed the recommended weight limits for the anchor bolts. Doing so can result in damage to the wall and the mounted item.