Prepare the Pieces
- Remove the metal band from the pipe cap.
- Place the wood dowel in the vice and drill a 1/4-inch hole through the center 1 1/2 inches from one end, then three more every 1 1/2 inches.
- Place the PVC pipe in the vice and drill a 1/4-inch hole through the center 2 1/2 inches from one end.
- Install the hanger bolt in the wood dowel on the end furthest from the drilled holes.
- Drill a 7/16-inch hole in the center of the 3-by-3 piece of particleboard and install the tee nut. If your tee nut has screws with it, screw it into place. If it has prongs, push it through the hole as far as it will go.
Assemble the Stool
- Place the 3-by-3 board in the center of the 9-by-5 board, with the tee nut sandwiched between, and screw the smaller board to the larger board with the wood screws.
- Screw the dowel and hanger bolt assembly into the tee nut hole in the 3-by-3 board.
- Push the pipe cap onto the end of the PVC pipe furthest from the drilled hole.
- Insert the wood dowel into the PVC pipe and line-up the drilled holes. If you cannot line-up the holes, double check Step 4 in this and the prior Section.
- Insert the cotterless hitch pin or wire lock pin through the holes to hold the stool together. Use the pin and additional holes to adjust the height of the stool.
Things You Will Need
- One 9-inch-by-5-inch-by-3/4-inch piece of particle board
- One 3-inch-by-3-inch-by-3/4-inch piece of particle board
- Four 1 1/4-inch wood screws
- One 8 1/2-inch X 1 1/2-inch diameter wood dowel
- One 8 1/2-inch X 1 1/2-inch diameter schedule-40 PVC pipe
- One 1 1/2-inch flexible (rubber) pipe cap
- One 3/8-inch tee nut
- One 3/8-inch hanger bolt
- One 1 3/4 to 2-inch long X 1/4-inch diameter cotterless hitch pin OR wire lock pin
- Use sandpaper to clean-up any edges and holes before allowing a child to use, taking special care if you substitute other wood for particle board.
- The heights for this stool are 10, 11 1/2, 13, and 14 1/2 inches
- For easy transport, simply unscrew the wood dowel from the seat, and the component parts easily fit a backpack and are simple to re-assemble.