My Refrigerator Runs but Does Not Get Cold
Refrigerators are major appliances that keep food cool and dry or frozen. These appliances use freon to cool their internal temperatures to between 35 degrees and 40 degrees Fahrenheit. When a refrigerator makes a "running" noise, what you are hearing is the compress and fan motor working to cool the appliance to its preset temperature. If the machine runs but does not cool, however, the refrigerator is experiencing an issue. Luckily, your machine may be fixed by a few simple troubleshooting tips.
Check the fridge's temperature or thermostat control to confirm that it was not accidentally turned up.
Inspect the appliance's door seals to ensure that they are not cracked or have come loose. Door seals run the entire length of the door and play a key role in keeping the appliance's temperature regulated. If the seals are damaged, the refrigerator will run in an attempt to cool to the preset temperature but cannot reach said temperature because it is not properly sealed, resulting in the leakage of cool air from the appliance.
Examine the door's alignment. Open the door and close it slowly to see if it is striking the designated area and closing completely and evenly. If needed, adjust the door via the hinge screws to make the door align properly and close tightly.
Clean the fridge's condenser coils. Condenser coils displace hot air from the refrigerator by drawing heat away from the appliance with a fan. Vacuum the condenser coils to remove any dust and dirt accumulated on them, then use warm, soapy water and a clean cloth to clean the condenser coils of any remaining debris.
Examine the drain line, located under the refrigerator, for blockages. The drain line removes water from the refrigerator and dumps it into the drain pan.
Things You Will Need
- Soapy water
- Clean cloth(s)
- If these fixes produce no result, the appliance's refrigerant or freon may be depleted or have leaked out. Phone an appliance repair technician to diagnose and correct the problem.
- How to Troubleshoot a Frigidaire Refrigerator That Keeps Running
- Kirkland Signature Whirlpool Refrigerator Troubleshooting
- How to Troubleshoot a Kenmore Refrigerator That Won't Run
- How to Clean the Condenser in Your Refrigerator
- How to Troubleshoot Kelvinator Refrigerators
- How to Adjust the Thermostat on a Refrigerator