How to Troubleshoot Repairs for a Haier Freezer
The Haier freezer, whether an upright frost-free freezer or chest freezer, is fairly simple in its design. With proper and preventive maintenance, the freezer should operate for years. Before calling in a Haier service technician for what could turn out to be an expensive service and repair, run through a few basic troubleshooting steps on your own. Check for damaged circulating fans, cracked door seals and worn compressors.
Ensure that the freezer is securely plugged into the electrical outlet if the unit does not turn on. Check for tripped circuit breakers and blown fuses. Set the thermostat to the "On" position.
Verify that the door is fully closed if the freezer runs continuously. Inspect the door gasket, or seal, for damage. This could allow outside air into the freezer and cause the compressor to keep cycling on to remain cool. Redistribute shelving inside the freezer if the unit is not cooling sufficiently. Clean around the condenser coils.
Open the freezer door, hold in the door switch and listen for a constant squealing or chirping noise coming from inside the unit. This is one way to check if the circulating fan could be the source of the noise. If the sound is pronounced when the door is open, the evaporator fan motor is the culprit. Have a qualified Haier service technician replace the fan motor.
Check the condenser fan at the back of the freezer if a noise is heard from that area. Clean lint or debris from the fan rotor blades. This action could be enough to eliminate the noise. If it does not, replace the fan. If the compressor is excessively noisy, it will probably have to be replaced by a service professional.
Replace the thermostat if the unit does not cycle off even though the temperature inside the freezer is cold enough.
Allow at least 2 inches on each side and on top of the freezer to allow proper ventilation and to prevent overheating.
Replace the light bulb if it has burned out. Unplug the freezer. Press the plastic light shade on the left-hand side, and lift it out. Turn the bulb counterclockwise to remove it. Install the new bulb by turning it clockwise. Replace the shade. Use an appliance-rated bulb with 25 watts of power.
- Remove the power cord from the AC outlet during power outages. Plug the cord back in once power has been restored.
- If the freezer is unplugged or turned off, wait at least four minutes before restarting or plugging it back in again.
- Do not touch cold surfaces inside the freezer when it is in operation, especially with wet hands. Skin can stick to extremely cold surfaces.
- Always unplug the freezer before cleaning or making repairs.
- Do not operate the freezer in the vicinity of explosive fumes.
Ross Glyn began writing for film and television in 1986. He wrote and directed the film “After The Rain” as well as the play “Soweto's Burning.” He is a member of the Writers Guild Of America, the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists. Ross holds a performer's degree from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art.
- The Freezer Fan Is Not Working on My Side by Side Samsung Refrigerator & Freezer
- How do I Troubleshoot Zephyr Range Hoods?
- How to Troubleshoot an AC Electric Motor
- Should I Unplug My Samsung Fridge if It Is Hot?
- How to Change the Fridge Light in the LEC R404W
- How to Troubleshoot a Dometic Royale Refrigerator