Ideal Temperature for an Upright Freezer
Upright freezers have a temperature control that allows you to adjust the temperature inside the freezer. Proper adjustment of the temperature control is important to maintain the appropriate temperature to keep foods safe and flavorful.
Freezers should maintain a temperature of 0 F, or about -18 C. This temperature will stop the growth of bacteria but will not kill it. Although the taste of frozen food will deteriorate over time, colder temperatures will preserve flavors longer.
A thermometer should be used to check the temperature of the freezer. The thermometer should be placed near the front of the freezer and checked at least once a week to assure that the freezer is maintaining the proper temperature.
Maintaining Proper Temperature
To maintain proper temperature in the freezer, arrange items in the freezer so that cold air can circulate. Keeping the condenser coils on the back or bottom of the freezer clean will also help the freezer to cool properly and improve the freezer's energy efficiency.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Food Science and Technology Department: Food Safety -- Use a Refrigerator and Freezer Thermometer
- West Virginia University Extension Service: Resources, Publications, Refrigerator and Freezer Safety
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension in Lancaster Co.: Forgotten in the Fridge
Jay Motes is a writer who sold his first article in 1998. Motes has written for numerous print and online publications including "The Dollar Stretcher" and "WV Sportsman." He holds a Bachelor of Arts with a double major in history and political science form Fairmont State College in Fairmont, W.V.
- grill steak image by Dumitrescu Ciprian from Fotolia.com
- Magnavox TV Closed Caption Troubleshooting
- How to Remove the Back Filter Cover From a Kenmore Progressive Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- How to Remove Yellow Stains From Whites
- How to Remove Grease Stains From Ceramic Tile
- How to Take Apart a Frigidaire Vegetable Drawer
- Miller Central Air Conditioner Troubleshooting