- Put on the gloves and mask, particularly if you are sensitive to mold. Open windows or run an exhaust fan to ventilate the area.
- Clean the surface that has mold and [mildew](https://homesteady.com/facts-5073620-mildew.html) with warm water and the regular non-ammonia detergent you use on the surface. Mild dishwashing detergents work well on most surfaces.
- Scrub any evidence of mold and mildew with the scrub brush. Rinse the area well.
- Disinfect the area by mixing 1/2 to 3/4 cup of chlorine bleach with 1 gallon of warm water. Apply the disinfecting solution with a sponge or scrub brush.
- Allow the solution to sit on the area for at least 10 to 15 minutes to kill the mold and mildew.
- Rinse the area well with clear water. Dry it rapidly by using a dehumidifier, towels or fans.
Things You Will Need
- Rubber gloves
- Respirator mask or dust mask
- Scrub brush
- Mild dishwashing or other non-ammonia detergent
- Measuring cup
- Chlorine bleach
- Prevent mildew and mold growth by keeping the area clean and dry. Run an exhaust fan in the bathroom while bathing or showering, and in kitchen areas while cooking. Use a squeegee or towel to help dry off shower or bathtub areas after bathing.