Cleaning Solution for Mold & Mildew
Mold and mildew thrive in moist areas or in high humidity. Mold can aggravate allergies in people who are sensitive to it. Fuzzy looking growths or stains in various colors may appear on surfaces with mold, which has an offensive odor. Keeping your home mold- and mildew-free with a cleaning solution helps ensure the health of your family. The proper cleaning and disinfecting solutions remove any mold growth and preventive methods help keep the areas clean in the future.
Put on the gloves and mask, particularly if you are sensitive to mold. Open windows or run an exhaust fan to ventilate the area.
Clean the surface that has mold and mildew with warm water and the regular non-ammonia detergent you use on the surface. Mild dishwashing detergents work well on most surfaces.
Scrub any evidence of mold and mildew with the scrub brush. Rinse the area well.
Disinfect the area by mixing 1/2 to 3/4 cup of chlorine bleach with 1 gallon of warm water. Apply the disinfecting solution with a sponge or scrub brush.
Allow the solution to sit on the area for at least 10 to 15 minutes to kill the mold and mildew.
Rinse the area well with clear water. Dry it rapidly by using a dehumidifier, towels or fans.
Things You Will Need
- Rubber gloves
- Respirator mask or dust mask
- Scrub brush
- Mild dishwashing or other non-ammonia detergent
- Measuring cup
- Chlorine bleach
- Prevent mildew and mold growth by keeping the area clean and dry. Run an exhaust fan in the bathroom while bathing or showering, and in kitchen areas while cooking. Use a squeegee or towel to help dry off shower or bathtub areas after bathing.
- Never mix bleach products with ammonia. The mixture of the two creates fumes that can be deadly.