How to Remove a Schlage Interchangeable Core Lock
Interchangeable core locks enable you to change out the entire cylinder core rather than replace entire locksets when rekeying is necessary. Interchangeable core locks are often in commercial applications such as office buildings and warehouses. Removing a Schlage interchangeable core lock requires the master control key that comes with the lock. The master control key is slightly longer than the normal entry key. The master key operates the seventh pin that the normal key does not reach.
Insert the master control key into the Schlage interchangeable core lock. Insert the key fully up to the shoulder of the key. The shoulder is the corner between the cut part of the key and the part you hold to turn the key.
Turn the key clockwise 15 degrees or until the key stops. Do not force the key once it stops. You will feel the interchangeable core release.
Pull the key away from the Schlage lock bringing the interchangeable core with the key.
- Contact a Schlage dealer if you cannot locate your master control key. A representative must come out to key your interchangeable core and give you a new master control key.
Kenneth Crawford is a freelance writer with more than 10 years of experience. His work has appeared in both print and online publications, including "The American Chronicle." Crawford holds an associate degree in business administration from Commonwealth College.
- How to Remove the Back Filter Cover From a Kenmore Progressive Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- How to Open a Gordon Electronic Safe
- How Do I Change My Differential Setting on My Honeywell CT3600 Thermostat?
- How to Turn Off the Lock Light on the Kenmore Elite Electric Cooktop
- How to Restart a Water Softener
- How to Remove the Washing Machine Cover on a Kenmore Elite