- Follow the power cord from the back of the fridge to the outlet if the appliance is completely unresponsive. Disconnect the power cord from any multi-plug adapters or extension cords and plug the appliance directly into the outlet. Make sure the outlet is switched on, if possible, and ensure all the fuses and breakers in your home are working correctly; you might notice other electronics nearby stop working if a fuse or breaker is tripped.
- Check the thermostat dial inside the refrigerator is turned up high enough for your needs. You might have turned the thermostat down when the appliance wasn't needed and forgotten to turn it up or jogged the dial while loading food or drinks into the refrigerator. The thermostat's lowest settings provide little or no cooling; turn the dial to the middle setting and allow 24 for hours for the refrigerator to cool down.
- Re-think the fridge's location if it is near a source of heat such as a radiator, oven or clothes dryer; the heat produced from the other appliances could be reducing the mini fridge's ability to cool properly. Ensure at least four inches of room for air circulation on all sides of the appliance, including the back. Your Salton mini fridge should ideally be placed in a cool, well-ventilated area.
- Thoroughly clean your Salton mini fridge if you notice a drop-off in performance; dirty door seals or dust on the back of the refrigerator could cause the appliance to become less efficient. Wipe the door seals and door frame down with a soapy cloth, cleaning away any food residue or sticky stains. Brush dust off the back of the refrigerator and vacuum up the remains. A clean, well-placed fridge should cool food or drink more efficiently.
- Take some food or drink out of the refrigerator if it is particularly full. It's tempting to pack the refrigerator full of drinks when you are entertaining but you might be blocking the internal vents and reducing the appliance's cooling ability. Use an ice bucket, cool-box or another refrigerator if you need to keep a large number of drinks cool.
- Unplug the refrigerator and wait five minutes if the motor won't run; a minor internal fault or overheating could have caused the appliance to cut-out. Reconnect the power and listen for the motor running. The motor might run for longer than normal after the power is restored to reduce the increased temperature caused by having the power off.
- Make sure the refrigerator isn't in "Manual Defrost" mode. Salton mini fridges do not melt ice from their condenser coils automatically and must be set to "Defrost" when ice starts building up. Ensure the "Defrost" button isn't activated, if fitted, and make sure the thermostat is away from the "Defrost" position.
Salton Mini Fridge Troubleshooting
Salton is a home and kitchen appliance brand that makes a range of small refrigerators and wine coolers for keeping drinks or small amounts of food cool. Troubleshooting problems starting or running your mini fridge has the potential to save you money if you manage to resolve the problem and prevent the need for a replacement or repairs. Technical issues usually arise from problems with the refrigerator's thermostat, the way the refrigerator is used or its location in your home.