How to Put a Plate Groove in a Shelf
Plate displays can be an attractive addition to your home. But to prevent the plates from sliding off the shelf, cutting a groove into the shelf is necessary. With the right tools you can make quick work of this project.
- Measure 2 inches out from the back edge of the shelf at both ends of the shelf and make a pencil mark at each location.
- Place a straightedge or yardstick on the shelf, connecting the two marks. Trace a line along the edge with the pencil.
- Set a router to make a U-shaped groove, 1/4-inch deep. Place the router at one end of the shelf and cut along the line to the other end.
- Sand any rough edges along the groove with fine sandpaper.
Things You Will Need
- Fine sandpaper
- Depending on the angle you wish the plates to be, the distance in the first step can be increased or decreased.
- Use care when working with any power tool.