How to Repair the Keypad on a Microwave Oven
Microwave ovens have a control panel, located on the right side of the appliance that allows you to control all aspects of the oven. The control panel also has a display which outputs the time of day when the microwave oven is off, the time remaining while the oven is cooking and also provides a digital display of the buttons pressed. If the control panel stops working, you must remove it and install a new one, as the microwave will not properly function without it.
- Unplug the microwave from the wall outlet, often located in the cabinet above the microwave.
- Remove the screws from the grill at the top of the microwave. Remove the grill. If the microwave is a counter-top model, there is no grill. Remove the outer cover by removing the screws securing it in place.
- Remove the screw at the top of the control panel.
- Lift the control panel up and slightly away from the microwave. Look at the bottom of the control panel for a locking tab that secures the panel to the microwave. If necessary, lift the panel up and then rotate clockwise to free this tab of the control housing.
- Transfer the wires from the old control panel to then new control panel, one at a time.
- Align the new control panel with the control housing. Slide it down into position.
- Secure the new control panel using the screw that was removed.
- Replace the grill at the top of the microwave, or the outer cover, then secure using the screws that were removed.
- Plug the microwave back into the wall outlet.